April 11, 2010

Like A Chicken With It's Head Cut Off

How can it possibly be April 11th?  It was just March 25th two minutes ago!  Since my last post I've been traveling, working and preparing to move... kind of that "running around like a chicken with its head cut-off" sort of thing, ya know?

Which reminds me...

of the national sales manager I hired many years ago to oversee the sales of a product I created and was marketing nationwide at the time. He was bright, successful, educated and well-spoken, but I'll be darned if he didn't have an annoying tendency to edit and misquote passages, old adages and cliches that had otherwise withstood the test of time. Case in point: the chicken sans head.

Whenever, and I do mean each and every single time, he was stressed out and I asked him how things were going he would reply, "I'm running around like a chicken!"  That's it.  "I'm running around like a chicken!"  Just a normal chicken, mind you, a regular old bird, not a recently decapitated one.

Now, if you've ever seen a chicken running around as compared to a chicken running around with it's head cut off, you know there is a huge difference and it is this very difference that provides the meat (no pun intended) to this cliche.  His benign bastardization of this silly expression just about made me crazy.  It got to the point that I wanted to scream, "It's not running around like a chicken, you dunce, it's running around like a chicken with it's flippin' head cut off!"

I wonder if he said it just to annoy me, hmmm...

Anyway, a headless chicken I have imitated as of late, but hope to settle back into a modified routine soon.  For now, I would suggest that for those of us who have lived with or do live with a Narci it's not unusual to feel a kinship to the beheaded chicken.  In trying to meet their needs, dodge their bullets, be what they want us to be, excuse what they want us to excuse, calm them, praise them and defend them, while simultaneously trying to cope and present an appearance of "normal" to the world we may, indeed, feel an element of "fowl" play in our lives... sorry, I couldn't resist.

Some of us have chosen to leave, some are choosing to stay.  In either case, doesn't it feel good to laugh at something related to the craziness. Put your own head on the chicken (oops, I mean put your own head on the ground next to the chicken), see it for what it is and have a good laugh.

We each have the power to change our life and our destiny.  As we learn and apply what we learn, we can make choices that will bring many days of laughter in the years ahead.  What a relief!

I'll be back as soon as I can.  Until then..

Take care.

5 comments:

  1. I wrote this along time ago and your last paragraph reminded me I should revisit it more often.

    We all possess the power to control our own lives. While the actions of others may affect us, ultimately we alone control our own destiny. We choose to be wise or foolish, thrifty or wasteful, kind or cruel and, of course, happy or sad. It is important to take responsibility for our choices and live with the consequences. If we don’t like the result, we have the power to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies to the reader who left a comment regarding the power to change our lives and the responsibility we have for the choices we make. It has apparently been lost as I tried to publish it. If you read this, please post it again. It was wisdom I would love to share with others. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...magic! Now the comment appears! The good fairy of cyberspace was listening. Wonderful! Thank you Mulderfan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I realize this is an older post but had to visit based on the title. I love the images you created writing this. I also love laughing about the "craziness."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome dogkisses! Thanks for your comment. Laughing at the craziness is so much more fun than crying about it, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete